NO MISSION IS IMPOSSIBLE.
NEITHER IS A CREATIVE TEXT FROM ENGLISH TO ITALIAN!
ENGLISH TO ITALIAN TRANSLATION FOR COMPANIES OR CREATIVE AGENCIES
Ever wondered how an international brand slogan can work on the Italian market? Sometimes the original version in English is kept as is, but in some other cases there’s a need for an adaptation. This is done by a translator.
This type of translation is referred to as creative translation (or transcreation) and deals with marketing copy, ads, slogans, brochures, flyers, newsletters, websites and slide decks that are originally in English and need to be translated, adapted or sometimes completely reworked into a new interpretation in Italian. And that’s what I do: making a creative text in English appealing and evocative in Italian.
In the process from English to Italian, the message needs to stay the same but may change in the words, in order to achieve the same result. It needs to be catchy just as the original and take your breath away, make you dream and capture you. Yes, the Italian text needs to work well from the advertising standpoint, while be appealing and charming as the English one so it can be accepted and understood by an Italian audience.
Creative translation is really a lot of fun and I like it because it puts me to the test every time. Here are a few secrets for you:
- The English language is by nature very different from Italian: the structure of the sentence is more defined and precise, in most cases shorter, concise and poignant. In Italian, on the other hand, to express the same concept you often need more words. Lots of them.
- A real challenge for us translators (most times, a cruel battle field where we fight to the death!) are slogans: limited space, concise concepts and deeply evocative thoughts is what we face. Challenge accepted.
- If the source text features puns, idioms or sayings, I strive to find an equivalent expression or a similar structure that can replicate the clever, intriguing nuances that confer such a fascinating and creative touch to the English copy.
The type of text that needs a creative translation from English to Italian can be mixed in nature, just as the client – most times a communication / creative agency or a company. Every text has my personal touch, that little je ne sais quoi that really makes the difference and adds that human feel to it. It goes through a series of rich, diverse experiences, both professional and personal, that can make it stand out.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
All creative translations from English to Italian are different. That’s why timing also varies. I like to take some time to be thorough in my terminology research and study the topic in depth. To give you a rough estimate, I can translate up to an average of 1,500 words a day but to that you need to add revision time. The quote will surely provide you with an estimate for that.
I prefer to work on .doc format. If your document is not a .doc, I can still translate it but I’ll have to apply an extra fee for layout formatting and transcription purposes.
If you need a language I do not offer (English to Italian, German to Italian, French to Italian) drop me a line indicating the details of your project. I’ll put you in touch with a trusted colleague who can help.
Proofreading is essential for any translation. This is an extra verification I carry out on every text to make sure that what I send you has perfect grammar, style and lexicon. I always carry out a revision of my work, that’s why the quotation includes a little bit more time than the hours I’d need for the sole translation work.
Each translation is different – topic, terminology, number of pages… – hence the fees need to reflect that. As a ballpark figure: my fees start at €0.12 per word (+ 4% tax).
To sum it up, for me to confirm if I can take on your project, please:
- Send me the text you need translated (no drafts, only final versions in .doc);
- Tell me what languages you need;
- Send me a corporate glossary or any reference material in existing translation;
- Provide any other info you deem appropriate to facilitate my task e.g. what format you need the file back.